awards: http://www.nautibitz.com/awards home: http://www.nautibitz.com fic: http://www.nautibitz.com/fic multimedia: http://www.nautibitz.com/multimedia awards: http://www.nautibitz.com/awards links: http://www.nautibitz.com/links.html about: http://www.nautibitz.com/about.html contact: http://www.nautibitz.com/contact.html

Becoming Kate
By NautiBitz
CHAPTER FOUR:
"Slayers Don't Cry"

Info and Author's Notes: See introduction.

Chapter summary: Kate Lockley, the Vampire Slayer, suffers the consequences of sleeping with her ensouled vampire lover, Faith.

Kate wonders how she can function at all, let alone sit behind a desk in a bright classroom, listening to her teacher drone on about the Pythagorean Theorem.

Tired as hell and hopped up on coffee and adrenaline, she has one recurring thought: tonight, tonight, tonight. At some point during the all-nighter in the library, a decision was made. Tonight is the night. The resouling spell is a go.

This time tomorrow, Faith might be Faith again. Kate tries not to fall into fantasy, what could be. There are so many variables, so many potential pitfalls. If it doesn't work, she can't be crushed. She has to soldier on, as her dad would say.

The classroom door opens. Kate looks up to see an old woman in a cloak enter, pause beside the teacher's desk and point directly at Kate, croaking out, "Midnight. Dixon Crypt. To the death," and bursting into flames, and into nothing.

The students gasp. Kate wonders if she's fallen asleep and is dreaming, but they're all hyperventilating, staring at her and the place the woman stood. Not a dream.

A message from Faith.

* * *

"Tara," Anya soothes. "We can do this. We will do this."

"I-I know. It's not that. It's Riley," she frets, looking across the library at the double doors. "I haven't seen him since last night and he's never late for anything."

Riley rushes in through the doors, panting. "Hey. Sorry I'm late."

"First time for everything," Anya says.

"Ri," Tara sighs in relief. "You almost had me worried."

"Don't worry about me," he assures her. "It's you I'm worried about."

Kate enters from the office, William following. "I'm going."

"And is there anything at all I can say to stop you?" He tries one last time, jumping in front of her to square her shoulders and look her in the eye. "Other than the obvious fact that you're walking headlong into a trap?"

Her expression is one of absolute resolve. "No."

"Alright then. Be careful, will you?"

"I will," she says, and approaches Tara and Anya. "If it takes too much out of you, or if it doesn't work, don't worry, okay? I'm not expecting anything."

Tara nods. "Just... don't die."

"Noted." As she walks out, she says, "Big honkin' trap, here I come."

* * *

"Is everyone ready?" Anya asks the group, sitting around her on the floor, save for Riley, who's been elected to be the lookout.

Holding a heavy baseball bat, Riley paces at the doorway and watches them apprehensively.

Tara takes a deep breath. "I think so."

William takes her hand and holds it tight. Anya clasps her hand over his. He smiles at her tenderly and inhales, eyes returning to the Orb of Thessula. "Let's begin, shall we?"

Tara initiates the chant, and they slowly join in.

* * *

Kate steps cautiously through the cemetery, checking her watch (11:59, one minute, one minute) calling out, "I'm here! Just like you asked. You can come out now and reveal your diabolical plan..."

Faith rounds the crypt before her, shoulder-leans against it, hip jutting out. "You're early."

"Yeah, well, punctuality... virtue." Stymied, she looks around, and looks back at Faith, who is still staring, still smiling, still standing there. "This is it? It's just you?"

She laughs. "Yeah. It's just me. Who'd you expect?"

"I don't..." She straightens. "So... Which is it, standing around talking or fighting to the death? 'Cause I don't have a lot of time."

"No," Faith smiles. "You really don't." She turns away, then shoots back with a surprise kick to Kate's stomach.

Kate buckles slightly before recovering with a punch-kick combination, catapulting Faith to the ground. She stands and regards the fallen vampire. "Wow, Faith, that kick really sucked. You're not going easy on me, are you?"

"You like it hard, don't you?" She flips up, elbows Kate in the face before she can duck.

"Okay, that was hard," she acknowledges as she snaps Faith's head backward with the heel of her palm.

And suddenly, the vampire stumbles, looks lost and afraid. She falls to her knees, clutching her stomach.

Kate stands back with a gasp.

Faith bellows in pain. A gold light flashes in her eyes. She blinks, three times, tears falling, seeing Kate as if for the first time. "Katie?"

Kate trembles. "F... Faith?"

"Katie? What -- what happened? What's going on? I, I feel like I haven't seen you in weeks..."

"Faith?" She steps closer.

"Baby?&quo